Re: RC1 : 1st preliminary review report: list of 69 incorrect testcases

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:03:16 -0700
To: "Boris Zbarsky" <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

> On 9/24/10 4:59 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>> 14- (Boris Zbarsky) A few table-anonymous-objects-0xx testcases use
>> and
>> rely on more than 1 element sharing the same id attribute value.
> Fixed (svn rev 1472).
>> Several table-anonymous-objects-0xx have also other smaller problems:
>> - validation markup errors (style without type attribute,
>> language="javascript", style block can not have an id, etc)
> Why can <style> not have an id?  All HTML elements can have an id in
> HTML5; I have no idea why HTML4 decided to not stick %coreattrs on
> there, but I think not using it here is silly....

This is what I had in my notes:

      span { display: block ! important }
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function doTest() {
        var s = document.getElementById("s");
        s.disabled = true;

can be replaced with

      span { display: block ! important }
    <script type="text/javascript">
      function doTest() {
        document.styleSheets[0].disabled = true;

That way, no id needed for style and the code is 1 line more compact.

> I added types to <style> as needed in svn rev 1473 and removed the
> language="javascript" in svn rev 1474.
>> - Inline style is formally discouraged:
> Yes, I know.  Rewriting these test to not use inline style would
> actually make them significantly less readable.  If someone does want to
> do that, for some reason, feel free.

I may offer you a rewrite replacement/alternative later, ok?

>> - Because of onload="doTest()", you need to add
> Why?  This is a serious question; HTML5 specifies the default scripting
> language to be javascript.

(...) Documents that do not specify default scripting language
information and that contain elements that specify an intrinsic event
script are incorrect. (...)

If default script language is not provided, then how is an user agent
going to be sure/to know in advance that this inline script is
"text/javascript" media type and that other one over somewhere else is
"text/vbscript" media type? That is why, I believe, default scripting
language should be specified in case of inline script.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC1; September 17th 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: