RE: content-072.htm is invalid

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:54:44 +0000 (UTC)
To: Arron Eicholz <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, "Gérard Talbot" <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@MIT.EDU>
On Mon, 25 Oct 2010, Arron Eicholz wrote:

> I am looking at the source file. I think that is why we are talking
> about this differently. It looks like this is a build error. I will
> raise that issue.
>
> Here is a link to the source file:
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/microsoft/submitted/Chapter_12/content-072.xht

Ah, that is indeed a different test.

> In this case I would recommend that you bring up the issue of the HTML
> reference in the CSS spec in a separate thread on www-style and we can
> address this in the next telecon and at TPAC.

I'll let the current active editors of the CSS specification make their
own determination as to the importance of this issue; personally I don't
think references actually matter (browsers implement the contemporary
version of HTML regardless of what CSS claims is normative). My concern is
just over making sure we don't test something that we know is obsolete,
since that can easily lead to interop problems.