Re: cascade-precedence-001/002/003/004/005/006/007 invalid

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 19:43:26 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

>> > Those testcases declare HTML4 DTD in their doctype declaration; so
>> WhatWG
>> > HTML5 says is irrelevant as far as those testcases are involved.
>> Nonsense.
>> HTML specs do not proscribe an algorithm for switching handling
>> based on DOCTYPE declarations, nor should they.
> Er, s/proscribe/prescribe/.
> In any case, tests for HTML4 don't belong in the CSS test suite,

I am not looking or asking to make the CSS test suite an HTML4 test
suite at the same time.

> both because it's the *CSS* test suite and because HTML4 has been
> obsolete for years (since the then-HTML working group stopped
> maintaining it).

I said already I am all for removing those testcases. But now, you
replace them with what exactly?

I have propose EM in the previous email and in
but then again, there is no normative requirements for user agent
stylesheets in CSS 2.1, to style EM element as 'font-style: italic' and
to do so in the user agent stylesheet.

I could replace those testcases with testing the B element as follows too:

div {font-weight: normal;}

but then again there is no requirement in CSS spec to style b element as
'font-weight: bold' and to do so in the user agent stylesheet.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: