Re: border-bottom-width-083/084 assume space in default font is 4px wide

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:17:41 -0700
To: "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Cc: public-css-testsuite@w3.org

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/border-bottom-width-083.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/xhtml1/border-bottom-width-084.xht
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/border-bottom-width-083.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/border-bottom-width-084.htm
> These tests assume that a space in the default font is 4 pixels
> wide.  In Firefox on Linux, it appears to be 5 pixels wide, and
> therefore the tests have a one-pixel-wide column of red at the left
> edge.
> To explain in a drop more detail, since it wasn't immediately
> obvious:  the test consists of two 96px by 96px (really 1in by 1in,
> and the test suite assumes 96dpi) inline-blocks, separated by a
> space.  The second has margin-left: -100px to cause them to overlap,
> but this only works if a space in the default font is 4px wide.

You have good eyes! This is a nice catch!

I confirm your findings and confirm that this one-pixel-wide column of
red at the left edge is also happening in Opera 10.63 (build 6450) and
in Konqueror 4.5.1.

Opera 10.63 fails this test pretty bad btw.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: