Re: content-158 and content-159

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:03:21 +0200, Gérard Talbot
<css21testsuite@gtalbot.org> wrote:

>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-158.htm
>> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-159.htm
>> (Author: Microsoft)

>> These assume that the initial value of 'quotes' (which per spec "depends
>> on user agent") has an apostrophe (U+0027) as opening quote for the
>> second
>> quoting level.
>

> The initial value of quotes for second quoting level depends on the
> language and common editorial convention for such language, as far as I
> can say.

Sure. I'm just saying there's a lack of backing in terms of normative CSS2
spec text. I don't see any meta-information (HTTP headers, lang
attributes) specifying the language either.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quotation_mark,_non-English_usage#Overview

Incidentally, that table doesn't specify "/' for any languages. Even for
US English it has left/right double quotation mark (U+201C/U+201D) and
left/right single quotation mark (U+2018/U+2019), and for UK English, the
other way around.

I would suggest explicitly setting quotes: '"' '"' "'" "'" in the above
tests (for div in the first and span in the second).

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA