Re: content-158 and content-159

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 2010 07:03:21 -0700
To: "Ă˜yvind Stenhaug" <oyvinds@opera.com>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>, "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-158.htm
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101001/html4/content-159.htm
> (Author: Microsoft)

Hello Řyvind,

> These assume that the initial value of 'quotes' (which per spec "depends
> on user agent") has an apostrophe (U+0027) as opening quote for the
> second
> quoting level.

The initial value of quotes for second quoting level depends on the
language and common editorial convention for such language, as far as I
can say. Information gathered from wikipedia backs this up:

Language Specific Quoting and Quotation Marks
from Jutta Wrage
(extensive coverage
http://www.witch.westfalen.de/csstest/quotes/ )

The CSS 2.1 spec gave this as an example:

q:lang(en) { quotes: '"' '"' "'" "'" }
in CSS 2.1, section 12.3.1

and the exact same quotes are used in an example in
HTML 4.01, section

as follows:

  John said, "I saw Lucy at lunch, she told me 'Mary wants you
  to get some ice cream on your way home.' I think I will get some
  at Ben and Jerry's, on Gloucester Road."
with lang attribute explicitly identified as english.

> Additionally, content-159 assumes a pair of quotation
> marks
> (U+0022) for the first quoting level.

This (&quot; or &#34;) is what is preferred for first quote level in

I think that this should be part of the assumed conditions (common
assumptions) of the test suite:

+CC: Arron Eicholz

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: