Re: Range for values (Was: Re: invalid tests about range of integer values)

> Moving over to www-style…
>
> On 05/10/10 17:52, L. David Baron wrote:
>> On Tuesday 2010-10-05 09:02 -0700, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>>> Wouldn't it be best if CSS2.1 would define explicitly an allowed
>>> range
>>> for integer values for properties like counter-reset,
>>> counter-increment,
>>> z-index, widows, orphans, etc? For negative integer values when
>>> applicable. And also define explicitly what should happen when
>>> minimum
>>> (floor) and maximum (ceiling) values are exceeded?
>>
>> Maybe.
>>
>> Or it could define a range that *must* be handled but still allow
>> handling of values outside that range.
>
> I'd much rather there was an explicit range defined (as there is for
> DOM, through the IDL definition). Opera has had a number of site
> compatibility bugs due to our maximum value for z-index being less than
> in other browsers, and any sort of implementation defined behaviour like
> that will almost inevitably lead to some site relying upon a certain
> limit that a certain browser uses.

Geoffrey,

I am for defining an allowed range for counter-reset, counter-increment,
z-index, widows, orphans, etc (and for negative integer values when
applicable) and for defining explicitly what should happen when minimum
(floor) and maximum (ceiling) values are exceeded.

It is ridiculous that some browsers fail some testcases only because
their maximum and minimum limits are not the same as ±2^32 . Failing
because of such situation does not in any way or manner indicate a
failure to implement CSS 2.1 accurately and correctly.

regards, Gérard

CSS 2.1 test suite (RC2; October 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors:
http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/