Re: first-page-selectors-003

From: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:19:38 +0100
To: Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
Cc: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Øyvind Stenhaug wrote:

 > http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20101027/html4/first-page-selectors-003.htm
 >
 > Given that the root element has "page-break-before: left;", why would the
 > page with the <p> be matched by "@page:first"?
 >
 > "To explicitly force a document to begin printing on a left or right page,
 > authors can insert a page break before the first generated box."
 >
 > This doesn't say anything about :first, so I would assume that the
 > document will simply "begin printing" on the second page.

That's one valid interpretation. However, it will lead to many initial
blank pages.

Another interpretation is that "begin printing" refers to the the
first page. If so, it may be better for the spec to say:

  "To explicitly force a document to begin printing on a left or right page,
   authors can insert a page break before the first page."

I would favor a change; it's a small but important clarification, and
it would make the test case valid.

-h&kon