Re: Mozilla small-caps test

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 8:20 AM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>wrote:

> John Daggett can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the
> small-caps test submitted by Mozilla
>
> http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/mozilla/incoming/reftests/text-transform/
>
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/layout/reftests/text-transform/
> is invalid. It assumes that a small-caps lower-case "a" has
> the same rendering as a capital "A" at 80% of the font size.
>
> This assertion is both unsupported by the specification (nowhere
> does it require 80% scaling) and, if I understand correctly,
> a completely wrong test for fonts that have true small caps.
>
> I'm removing this from Mozilla's submission. I'm surprised the
> reftest has not caused noticeable failures.

That's because we currently implement small-caps by uppercasing and scaling
by 80%. Indeed, that test should be removed. In our tree, it could be
replaced by a != test to at least ensure that small-caps does *something*.
Or we could replace it with a test that uses a font we know doesn't have
small-caps features.

Rob
53:5-6]