Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser ( containing-block-032.htm )

From: Gérard Talbot <css21testsuite@gtalbot.org>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:08:00 -0700
To: "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>
Cc: "Bruno Fassino" <fassino@gmail.com>, "Arron Eicholz" <Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com>
> The following cases do not pass in any browsers. I have a feeling that
the test cases are incorrect in most of the scenarios. With so many
issues it would be great to get some help investigating each of these
and seeing if the case is valid to the spec, if the case is just buggy
and needs a simple fix or if the case should just be removed all

> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/containing-block-032.htm

is the *_exact_* testcase Bruno Fassino and I submitted, back in march
2010; I have kept an html version here:

Such testcase is passed by IE7.

The testcase Bruno and I submitted is actually the only one that fully
meets/tackles all of the description at section 10.1, item 4, sub-item
1, sub-sub-item 1
for the 4 corners all in the same testcase.

I do not think that such testcase is buggy; I have said in emails that
the spec would be a lot easier to read, understand for all interested
parties involved if an example (code chunk with screenshot of expected
results) would be inserted into section 10.1, item 4, sub-item 1,
sub-sub-item 1 .

FYI, Mozilla has been tackling this issue

Bug 489100
absolutely positioned child of relative inline positioned relative to
only first line of inline

and bug 489207
Auto-offset absolutely positioned boxes with inline relatively
positioned containing blocks use wrong hypothetical box

regards, Gérard
+CC: Bruno Fassino

CSS 2.1 test suite (beta 1; July 1st 2010):

CSS 2.1 test suite contributors: