Re: [RC4] active-selector-002

On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 2:16 PM, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
> On 12/12/2010 08:41 PM, "GĂ©rard Talbot" wrote:
>> 2-
>> p:active, span:active { color: yellow; border: red solid thick;
>> background: red; }
>>
>> It seems that the testcase presumes that span elements can not be in an
>> :active state while the spec says
>>
>> "
>> CSS does not define which elements may be in the above states, or how
>> the states are entered and left. (...)
>> "
>> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/selector.html#dynamic-pseudo-classes
>>
>> "3. Link C" (when activated with left mouse click) is red in Firefox
>> 3.6.13, Opera 10.63, Chrome 8.0.552.215 and Konqueror 4.5.4 and this is
>> not proof of non-compliance with the spec.
>
> See
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2010Nov/0078.html
> The HTML specs give no justification to a UA activating a <span>.

If we accept the conclusion of that thread, that merely says that we
shouldn't be making any tests that depend on the activation or lack of
activation on non-focusable elements at all.  The 3rd link in this
test goes against that, as it depends on all forms of activation to
not activate the <span>.

(I don't accept your conclusion in that thread, though - by common
agreement between all browsers, clicking is an activation behavior,
and all elements respond to clicks by becoming :active.  This isn't a
matter of bugwards compat or not, it's just a matter of your personal
opinion differing from the interoperable opinion of all browsers.  We
should indeed be testing and requiring this behavior.  If you believe
we need a disclaimer about the it, so be it, but that shouldn't
prevent us from testing interoperable behavior.)

>> 3-
>> "CSS 2.1 does not define if the parent of an element that is ':active'
>> or ':hover' is also in that state."
>>
>> When clicking "3. Link C", both the nested span and its link container
>> <a class="test">  are in the active state. Again, this is not forbidden
>> according to spec.
>
> True, but activating the <a> should not cause its child <span> to be
> :active.

Clicking on the text of the link means clicking on the <span>.  By
virtue of the <a> being the <span>'s container, it's also clicked
on/activated.  There is no grounds for assuming that only the <a>
should be :active and not the <span>, though.

~TJ