Re: Section 8.3.1 (margin collapsing) review report (= 39 tests out of 129 tests)

On 08/11/2010 08:46 PM, Arron Eicholz wrote:
> On: Wednesday, August 11, 2010 8:33 PM, fantasai wrote:
>> On 08/11/2010 04:23 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> This is mostly for Arron.
>>>
>>> Unless specified for "author: Ian Hickson", all individual comments
>>> refer to Microsoft's testcases.
>>>

>>> Summary (mostly for Fantasai and Arron)
>>> ***************************************
>>>
>>> - many testcases declare div {width: 5em} when it's not necessary
>>> - many testcases declare div {font: 20px/1 ahem;} when ahem font is
>>> not necessary
>>
>> Just a quick note on this last item -- if a test is made easier to use by the use
>> of Ahem, even if it is not needed, then it is fine for the test to request Ahem
>> in its style sheet as long as it doesn't flag Ahem as a requirement.
>>

> I disagree. The flag is still needed if you use the ahem font. The flag is there
> to tell you that you need to install the font before the test is run.
> If you don't have the ahem font installed then you will most likely get really
> strange results.

If the test isn't going to reliably give the same pass/fail results without
Ahem then, yes, it should be flagged as required. But some tests work fine
without Ahem: it just makes the text used in the test less distracting or
does something equally innocuous. In those cases it's fine to leave it in
the test (since it can make it easier for the tester to focus on the pass/fail
criteria) but not flag it as required.