Re: Licensing

From: L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 19:51:27 -0800
To: Alex Mogilevsky <alexmog@exchange.microsoft.com>
Cc: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>, Bert Bos <bert@w3.org>, "public-css-testsuite@w3.org" <public-css-testsuite@w3.org>

On Wednesday 2008-01-09 18:56 -0800, Alex Mogilevsky wrote:
> I am not a lawyer but I think you get it backwards. It is your work,
> then you get to choose how to license it. If you license it to W3C
> which then publishes your work under a more restrictive license (I am
> assuming you are not happy about that part), the original work is
> still available from you directly, isn't it?

I think you're confusing licensing and copyright assignment.  A
copyright holder, or all of them if there are multiple, can offer their
works under additional licenses.  Some open-source projects require
assignment of copyright so that a single entity has this power; some
projects leave the copyright with the author and accept work offered
under a given license or set of licenses.

(I am not a lawyer, etc.)

-David