RE: Some proposed tests

fantasai said:

>  >     page-cb-000.xht
>
> - Please remove all declarations in the @page rule (aside
> from the "margin: 1in"
>    declaration. They will be added by the build scripts.

I thought we had said that the build scripts would not add header
content in the presence of an @page construct...?  Or were you thinking
that only applied to css3 paged media tests?

We have talked about adding p or hn elements as the first and last
elements within the body, when margin box content is an explicit part of
the test design; but I wonder if it might not be better to let the
author decide where the test identifying information goes.

I guess we'd better decide on how we're going to do this before I
resubmit these...

Options would seem to be:

1. If there's no "@page", the build scripts add margin-box test
identification; else the author adds manually.
2. If there's no "@page", the build scripts add margin-box test id; else
the build scripts add leading and trailing <p>'s (or whatever) inside
the body.
3. If there's no "@margin-box" (where margin-box is replaced by one of
the 16 margin-box idents), the build scripts add margin-box test id;
else the author adds manually.
4. s/a 3, but scripts add leading and trailing p's, rather than the
author adding manually.
5. ???

I prefer #3, because it provides the best identification info with the
least author effort.  Having the test identification info is important
for pages other than the first and the last, but it's not available with
#2 or #4.  And keeping the test look-and-feel as consistent as possible
will help testers as well. The 'size' tests, for example, could benefit
from headers but won't have them if we go for #2 or #4.

But assuming it's too tedious to search for each of the 16 names of
margin-boxes, #1 would be my second choice.

We could choose different answers for CSS 2.1 and CSS 3, based on the
simplifying fact that margin boxes aren't available in 2.1, so we know
they won't be used as part of test design.  But I think it would be
preferable from a test authoring perspective to use the same approach
for both 2.1 and 3.

Best wishes,

Melinda