Re: PDS/IdH/EDV Discussion - Suggested proposals and clarifications

On 1/17/20 5:29 PM, Orie Steele wrote:
> What are the next steps regarding DIF - W3C Coordination for
> EDV/Hubs?

I have some visibility into the current DIF/W3C discussions, but it's
not my place to share details (as I don't hold any sort of official
Management position at either DIF nor W3C).

In general, DIF (with my assistance) initiated a dialogue, W3C and DIF
have gone back and forth a few times with some concrete asks on both
sides. The discussion has not yet resulted in a clear path forward
(although I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... it's still a
bit far off).

> Who has the ball? Are there counter proposals? Please use the public
> email list to convey any updates to everyone.

Rouven, Executive Director of DIF, has the ball. From the transcription
from the last meeting we had on the topic:

"""
Next steps: The IPR policy will need to be agreed to between DIF and
W3C. Rouven has an action item to move that discussion forward. Meetings
will not begin until this is resolved.
"""

There are counter proposals.

I suggest that Rouven provide an update to the various communities in
his capacity as ED for DIF and then we hold another call to see what all
of the communities would like to do given the new information.

I'll note that the W3C DID WG face-to-face meeting is coming up in
Amsterdam the week after next; that will absorb some energy from a
number of people that will be attending that meeting. So, the soonest
we'd be able to have a PDS/IdH/EDV call is probably 3 weeks from now
(but that's probably OK, given that we need to coordinate 60-70 people).

https://tinyurl.com/veres-one-launches