Re: Materials from 2019-07-02 DID Working Group Charter meeting

Thanks so much Sethi, that's wonderful! I'm not sure if you were asking
about this task specifically, but in case you are (and also, Carlos, in
response to your question):

The best way to get exposed to the minute publishing process is here:
https://w3c-ccg.github.io/publish.html. The video in that page (
https://youtu.be/0Sn7co2eSCo) gives an overview of how everything works.

Manu spent a lot of effort building this codebase that does the irc log ->
html conversion, minute posting, etc. Then a handful of others of us spent
effort updating for different functionality, adding utilities,
documentation, and readmes, so the code/docs should be more explanatory
than ever before.

Warning: any knowledge of these tools is currently based on self-driven
digging, nagging Manu, and artifacts we generated based on that (like the
link/tutorial above). It's possible only ~5 people know how these work
(even partially). However, understanding those tools is incredibly valuable
for the community. It allows us to respond to requests like this in a
scalable way.

Because of the importance of understanding these tools, I could definitely
commit a future CCG call to a knowledge transfer session. In general, I'd
love to have a dedicated call to discuss volunteer opportunities. So Sethi,
if this particular one doesn't match your skill set, we could discuss other
opportunities on a call (with minutes posted subsequently for those who
can't attend but would also like to volunteer).

On the topic of volunteers...I'll use this as an opportunity to acknowledge
some recent heavy lifter volunteers who make our work succeed. We all take
for granted the usual heavy lifters like Manu, Markus, Drummond, Brent,
Ken, Dan Burnett, and TallTed. But witnessing their perseverance through
intricate work, like the DID specification and charter, all the while
dodging (nearly literal) knife throwing, is inspiring.

I know many of us think of them as possessing unique, arcane knowledge, and
yeah that's sort of true, but they do this by digging in, figuring out what
needs figuring out, and collaborating with other volunteers in this
community. We could not thrive as a community group without this sort of
involvement, and it's critical to our ongoing success. Not only is it
important to ensure our work represents a broad group of interests, it
helps avoid burnout of a few over-taxed individuals.

So I want to also thank Sethi for stepping up now, with willingness to
commit to helping in whatever way he can. And also huge thanks to Bill
Barnhill, a recent volunteer who has  thrown himself into the spectext
research and prototypes. His work specifically opens up our processes to an
ever broader range of people (i.e. making conversion to spectext easy for
non-tech folks). I can't emphasize enough how impactful this is.

Lastly, to everyone in the community -- many of these tasks may appear to
be a menial task, lacking in glory. And yeah, we do a lot of boring, unpaid
tasks* to keep the wheels running. But keeping our community goals in mind,
any effort helps further our important work. So chip in wherever you can.

Even if that's scribing. I note that we had no volunteers again today, and
had to revert to the list of people who always do it (sorry Manu).
Volunteer to scribe. And if you don't know how, then sit back and enjoy a
fantastic video tutorial another valuable volunteer (Andrew Hughes) has
made. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Sn7co2eSCo&t=1s

* The hard work we do here may not make you an "Identity Influencer", but
it will allow you to _influence_ the future of self-sovereign identity. :)

Your chair,
Kim