Re: Materials from 2019-04-11 combined DID Spec and DID Resolution Spec meeting

On 2019-04-15 12:56 am, Markus Sabadello wrote:
> I agree one of the strengths of the DID concept is that different DID
> methods will compete for trust while still being interoperable.
>
> Unfortunately, I am not convinced that non-decentralized DIDs (Google,
> Facebook, DNS) will end up low on the list, if we decide to "allow" them.

Especially since trust and transparency is at the core of how Facebook
and Google make money. They have become very good at getting people to
'trust' them, since their business model (stalking-based advertising)
depends largely on their members not knowing about it.

Recently several federal governments have argued that how they do this
is a disaster and linked directly to 'fake news', and threatens
democratic institutions, and through that is subverting many social
needs, including income equality, nuclear disarmament, healthcare
equality, and emergency action that needs to be taken against climate
change and species extinction.

And so my worry (and I believe Markus', though I don't want to put
words into his mouth) is that DIDs, instead of offering a healthier
alternative to this, are going to give more power to the major
players, and alternatives will continue to be relegated to the fringes
and be largely ignored, unless the main goals of data portability,
privacy, pseudonymity, and user control are viable across all DID
Methods, not only within a single DID Method.

I know this is a doomsday prediction, but there are those who think we
are nearing doomsday very quickly; here's George Monbiot today in the
Guardian saying we've reached the time for open rebellion. If he's
right, the development of DIDs might be an important place for this
rebellion to happen.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/apr/15/rebellion-prevent-ecological-apocalypse-civil-disobedience

Steven