W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > June 2017

Re: Negative VCs

From: Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2017 09:45:31 +0000
Message-ID: <CAM1Sok37uQGPa8dEM7xGJe_BhwS5-RX2JF1mDqGvZtqAokVkMQ@mail.gmail.com>
To: Joe Andrieu <joe@joeandrieu.com>, public-credentials@w3.org
Claims could also be false, misleading or designed for asymmetrical service
for the creator of it, in a manner that's unfair to vulnerable lifecycle
participants.

Nowadays that seems to be moreover poor people. Indeed international
corporations can do very bad things, and no one goes to jail. From economic
crisis to far worse.

The thing that seems to set humanity apart from any other form of life in
our natural world, is our use of technology.

Yet we're increasingly developing technology to serve the interests of
artificial things denoted moreover as "persona ficta" in various forms.

It's important we're not working as organic "cells" in service of an
artificial organism.

We all have flora in our digestive system, but we're able to kill off the
bad stuff if it's not good for our health.

A "claims handshake" should provide the means for parties to agree on the
terms in the instrument.
Still thinking about how to simplify the rest of my thoughts on the matter.

Tim.h.


On Sun., 25 Jun. 2017, 5:31 am Joe Andrieu, <joe@joeandrieu.com> wrote:

> David,
>
> I can see where it reads that way, but I'm not making that assumption at
> all.
>
> Relating the subject to any particular entity is dealt with outside the
> claim. There may be enough information in the claim itself to do the
> correlation or it may need to be done externally either in context or based
> on other data. This is a problem of authentication, not verification.
>
> Of course, if the subject is uncorrelatable through any means then the
> claim can't be tied to a specific entity, then the
> inspector/verifier/relying-party will have a hard time applying the claim.
>
> However, one could generate random pseudonymous unique identifiers and use
> those to collect a set of claims from various issuers, presenting the set
> of claims as a related set and the RP could correlate across those claims
> some relevant fact. For any given claim the subject appears random and
> private, but isn't in fact in the context the set of claims. Each of those
> claims are valid, even if useless in isolation.
>
> In the case of a truly noncorrelatable subject, i.e., the random unique
> number private to the subject, the claimant still doesn't *have* to prove
> anything for the claim to be valid. The claim, however, may be useless.
> Which is fine. Not all verified claims are going to be useful. But bearer
> claims exactly fit this use case. The bearer of this claim *is* the subject
> of the claim and due the privileges associated with the claim.
>
> We don't want to conflate the possibility of authenticating the claimant
> as the subject with it being an innate requirement of Verifiable Claims.
> Nor do we want to require some proof of rights or relationship between the
> claimant and subject. These are outside the scope of the claim itself.
> That's why I say that ROLE_B doesn't innately have to prove anything.
>
> The claim--including its means of verification such as checking for
> revocation--stands on its own. If we presume any relationship between the
> claimant and the subject we are baking in some serious limitations to
> verifiable claims and introducing exogenous verification of the
> relationship, which I think would be a mistake.
>
> Claimants present claims. That's simple. Authentication, delegation, and
> proving right to use, are external to the claim.
>
> There is one exception that I can see, where an issuer includes a TOS
> clause that explicitly affords the right to be a claimant to a specific
> entity--which may or may not be the subject. In fact, I think that's a
> fairly useful TOS: this claim only applicable when presented by the subject
> as authenticated by procedure X.  This is issue #48
> https://github.com/w3c/vc-data-model/issues/48
>
> -j
>
>
> On Sat, Jun 24, 2017, at 08:57 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>
> Joe you are making a very big assumption in your message below that is
> not always true, and this is that the inspector can know from viewing
> the VC who the subject is (viz: "I might publicly post academic
> credentials to my linkedin profile"). This might be true if the subject
> has a globally unambiguous identifier that is publicly known to the
> world (as in your LinkedIn case), but if the identifier in the VC is
> some random number that is private to the subject, then what you say is
> not true. You need to cater for this (more difficult) case as well. Once
> you do, you will find that your (easier) case is covered by that
> solution as well.
>
> regards
>
> David
>
> On 24/06/2017 00:42, Joe Andrieu wrote:
>
> I don't follow the need for ROLE_B to prove anything. Nothing in the
> data model provides any proofing for the holder/presenter/claimant. In
> many use cases the relationship of the claimant to the subject is
> immaterial or at least exogeneous to the claim.
>
> Consider that I might publicly post academic credentials to my linkedin
> profile and that a recruiter or potential boss includes those
> credentials in recommending to HR that I come in for an interview.  The
> credentials themselves hold the entirety of the verification required
> for the relying party/verifier/inspector, aka HR, to decide whether the
> credentials are valid.
>
> At no time does it matter whether or not the particular
> holder/claimant/presenter is authorized to provide the claim.
>
> In the case of negative claims, I think this is even more true. If a
> background check on me finds verifiable claims that, e.g., I failed
> physics three times or had a crappy GPA, etc., the claim infrastructure
> doesn't care if the claimant is an authorized representative.
>
> Seems to me the important thing about the claimant isn't whatever rights
> they have or what they've been authorized to do, it is simply what they
> do: present a claim.  Whether or not presenting that claim is
> appropriate in the context in which it is presented is a completely
> different problem.
>
> -j
>
>
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2017, at 06:38 PM, David Chadwick wrote:
>
> I think that most of us have been assuming that VCs are always positive
> and confer some benefit on the subject. Common examples used by us have
> been passport, credit card, club membership etc.
>
> But what about negative VCs, such as a criminal record, 'points' on your
> driving licence, or failure to pay a bill on time etc. Subjects are
> going to be reluctant to present these to verifiers, especially if this
> would remove any benefit that they were hoping to obtain from the
> verifier's online service. In this case the VCs might be presented by
> someone other than the subject of the VC, and by someone not wishing to
> represent the subject of the VC.
>
> For this reason I would support the following alternative wording in the
> Terminology Playground
>
> ROLE_B is typically the Subject of Claims. In some circumstances, where
> the ROLE_B is not the Subject of the Claim, then ROLE_B must be able to
> prove that they are 'authorised to provide the claim'. This is a
> preferrable alternative to 'has the authority to represent the Subject
> of the Claims', as it covers the latter case as well as a third party
> providing negative VCs to a verifier.
>
> regards
>
> David
>
>
> --
> Joe Andrieu, PMP
>                     joe@legreq.com <mailto:joe@legreq.com <joe@legreq.com>
> >
> LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS
>     +1(805)705-8651
> Do what matters.
>                   http://legreq.com <http://www.legendaryrequirements.com>
>
>
>
>
> --
> Joe Andrieu, PMP
>                    joe@legreq.com
> LEGENDARY REQUIREMENTS
>    +1(805)705-8651
> Do what matters.
>                  http://legreq.com <http://www.legendaryrequirements.com>
>
>
>
Received on Sunday, 25 June 2017 09:46:17 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:38 UTC