Re: Terminology poll

From: Christopher Allen <ChristopherA@blockstream.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:12:35 -0700
To: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Cc: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
On Fri, Jun 23, 2017 at 11:06 AM, Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
wrote:

> 2nd Possibility: Guardian
> Same reasoning as above, although perhaps applies less clearly. However,
> in cases where Role B needs to be split -- a credential about a dog, a
> prisoner, or a demented relative, then Guardian might work better.

We use Guardian in the DID spec – thought I’m not sure it should be in the
final DID spec, but it is something that the Sovrin/Everynym/Indy folks are
using for a party that has the right to hold both read and write keys for
the subject, but does so on behalf of someone (possibly with fiduciary or
other legal responsibility).

The DID spec also talks about the difference between ownership and control,
where ownership is ability to prove possession of keys, where control is
ability to rotake keys. I’ll write up another email to discuss this, but
consider this a +1 on adding owner to the poll.

— Christopher Allen