Re: Terminology poll

From: Steven Rowat <steven_rowat@sunshine.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2017 11:06:52 -0700
To: public-credentials@w3.org
On 2017-06-23 6:29 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NWdpFxbERXZodvbJP_GgGZhkGI54zWmqTuFz-CR2hps/edit
>
> REPEAT: If you do not get your alternatives into the document above by
> next Monday, they will not be included in the poll. When you suggest new
> terminology, you MUST make sure that at least someone else supports your
> proposed term AND there are no more than two people that object to your
> proposed terminology. This hopefully prevents there being a sea of
> choices that further complicates the vote while not raising the bar to
> getting a new term into the poll that high.

I apologize for having added two terms, Controller, and Guardian, to
Role B without checking if others supported.

I would like to check for that support now. I will give my reasoning:

Note: this is simplified reasoning without considering the 'split' of
Role B which is being discussed elsewhere. I.e, I'm discussing for the
case where, for example, Role B is a person who has a driver's
license. Role B represents only that person.

Role B Term Possibility: Controller.

In the spirit of "Self-Sovereign Data", Role B controls their own data.
That's a key element of this whole process.
They don't issue the credential, but they control who sees it.
Therefore they can be called the "Controller" in the whole VC system.

2nd Possibility: Guardian
Same reasoning as above, although perhaps applies less clearly.
However, in cases where Role B needs to be split -- a credential about
a dog, a prisoner, or a demented relative, then Guardian might work
better.

If anyone else supports or objects to these being suggested in the
list for role B, please indicate.

Thanks

Steven