Objection. Was: "Identity"

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2017 09:09:41 +0200
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
For me, working with identity-using applications, I must admit that I don't understand how the technology you are targeting would address things like taxation, health insurance, etc.

The following probably represents the opposite to what you want to accomplish:
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/la-france-country-without-identity-anders-rundgren
It might be worth reading anyway :-)

A core problem with self-sovereign * identities is that they will need an IRL meeting with an RP to be useful (accepted).

That "I am what I am because I say so" sounds like a circular evidence.

I have much easier understanding FIDO which is strong authentication without identification.  The latter is though an illusion ("marketing" I would rather call it...), since practically every service provider of any significance require a validated e-mail address or mobile phone numbers which in turn are GUIDs (Globally Unique IDentities) offering "correlation" at a level which not even citizen-number schemes do!

Anders

* Which from a practical point-of-view seems to be another word for self-issued.