Re: Alternative terminology for "consumer"

may be tricky to find a noun that represents a role of a thing that's
asking, demanding, verifying which wasn't at it's primary root a 'person'

how about
- interrogator
- examiner
- inquirer

i sort of like the idea of inquiry
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/inquiry:

   1.

   1:  examination into facts or principles
   <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/principle> :  research
   <http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/research>
   2.

   2:  a request for information