Re: Alternative terminology for "consumer"

On 3/29/16 11:15 AM, Stone, Matt wrote:
> "acceptor" pre-supposes a positive outcome, an inspector may accept or
> deny the claim - even if it's verified as authentic. -- I'm not crazy
> about "inspector" for the reasons you suggested above.
>
> Maybe we should be focused on the "ask" - this role is that of the
> "requester" , ie. some interested party has requested proof of
> {status/attribute}. Consult the thesaurus for "one who asks" :)

Agreed. But it's stronger than ask, in all cases that would interest
us. It's required.

So...maybe:

Credential Requirer

?

> I don't remember what language problem we're trying to solve was and
> why we are moving away from the concept of the "consumer" role.  Is
> there concern that the consumer might be confused with the holder of
> the credential?

Without referring to the past threads where it was discussed, I
believe several people thought this.

For instance, here's Harper-Collins, and they only give two meanings
for the noun 'consumer':
    "1.  a person who acquires goods and services for his or her own
personal needs
    "2.  a person or thing that consumes"

Definition '1.' only refers to a 'person' -- not an entity or a thing.
And this is so widespread a use today -- we are all 'consumers', it's
a 'consumer society', businesses are producing goods for the 'the
consumer', --that IMO it's unavoidably the first thing that will come
up in the mind of anyone who encounters it.

And since it's linked in this way to a 'person' rather than an entity
or an organization, it's also likely to be confused with the 'holder'.

Steven