Re: Payments activity - any point to our time and effort?

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 22:57:14 +0100
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Cc: Timothy Holborn <timothy.holborn@gmail.com>, W3C Credentials Community Group <public-credentials@w3.org>
On 2016-03-04 22:42, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

<snip>

> I also support Manu's tireless work in this area, and his sharing of the state of affairs.

I'm also very impressed by Manu's energy but a bit less convinced about this groups analysis regarding Web Payments.

I do not believe that the payment industry really is that interested in standards, unless it is _their_ standard.
The need for interoperability is exaggerated.  Each payment system can IMO continue to be "different".

So what's needed then?  Security + Convenience.
With U2F that's a solved problem for superproviders.
And the rest? Who cares, the W3C have virtually no bank members, not to mention VISA and friends.

Anders