Re: Accessibility --> Archiving

Some notes from [1] "the video from the conference" in this thread.

Continuing with Vint Cerf:

- How to run something from 20x years ago.
- Links resolve to something from a group of likely candidates
- Containers: like virtualization to run apps

>From questions:

- Preserve a digital version of ourselves.
- Preserve apps. Right now there is an app for everything, even for
"turning off a light bulb"
  Consolidate. It might be easier to do this if we used a web page approach.
- Privacy, right to be forgotten. To forget we have to remember what to
forget.

Starting with TimBL:

- Spoke about the Church of All Knowledge at the Internet Archive
- Gives a History of the Web.
- At CERN there were many documentations systems, but nobody would use
them. Hypertext was a good way to do things.
- Web designed without national boundaries
- HTTP brought together a host of protocols like smtp and that from usenix
news
- Filenames good to up computer. These came from the Apollo Domain System.
A lot was picking
things up people had used.
- You can find out where your user is, but you have to put forth some
effort.
- Website put up files on a server and download the httpd daemon and bingo
you are a publisher
- More creativity without boundaries
- Utopian level of society, what happend to that
- Silos. I have Twitter, Instagram for Photos, LinkedIN for professional
stuff, and Facebook. It is hard to move things
between them and I have to learn each ones API.
- We have a deal for free hosting. People share their privacy.
- Model is $ for advertising. Myth that people are happy with this, and
myth that this is optimal.
- Data is more valuable to me than everybody else (machines/advertisers)
- Separate Apps from Data. Run Apps and get data from places I control.
- URLs are human readable, but URLs are names not a location. A
cryptographic hash or address by hash could be used.
- w3c groups to get involved with: Social web working group, web
authentication working group
- HTTP 2 came out that was a major rethinking. HTTP GET could be integrated
with something like GitHub to look at differences between versions.
- There is lots of tech to look at.

>From questions:

- Top 3 promising projects: they are all wonderful in different ways. You
can't put them in order, just like you can't put people in order.
 In apps, make the sign up experience easy.

- You can make a walled garden appealing, but the Jungle is more appealing.

- Design web for documents.

- Standard to integrate data. Solid project.
  Drink Linked-Data Kool Aid. Standardize how you write things for
applications.

- Checkout the web foundation.

- Semi-truck driven by interest to push through standards like WebGL for
games or WebRTC for phone. No it is the developers, The early adopters. The
day to day apps that are useful that can drive.

- What is Web 3.0? A lot of people cannot mantain a connection. One
direction is expressing data -- tools for exposing the web of data.

- RDF URIs start with HTTP

-Brent Shambaugh

Skype: brent.shambaugh
LinkedIN: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brent-shambaugh-9b91259