Re: Non-correlation / pseudo-anonymity (was Re: VOTE: Verifiable Claims Terminology)

On 6/11/16 9:46 AM, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 06/11/2016 07:27 AM, David Chadwick wrote:
>> By using a common ID for two different identity profiles we produce
>> a correlation handle for the relying parties.
>
> Yes, correlation handles are REQUIRED for a number of use cases.
> Pseudo-anonymity is REQUIRED for others. We need both.
>
> For example:
>
> You get a driver's license from Entity A.
> You get a proof of employment from Entity B.
>
> A bank asks you to submit both to open a new account. In a non-common ID
> scenario, how does an automated software program determine that the
> driver's license and the proof of employment are talking about the same
> identifier?

I'm not seeing a problem with this yet with the John (entity) and
Alfred and Bob (pseudonyms) example. Only the pseudonym "Alfred" will
be used to represent a single person, and so only one identifier will
be used for the license, the proof of employment, and the Bank (for
Alfred).

If the government gets a warrant to find out who Alfred is, they can,
and somewhere there will exist a registry that links John and Alfred's
separate ids.

Steven