W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-credentials@w3.org > July 2015

Credentials CG Telecon Minutes for 2015-07-14

From: <msporny@digitalbazaar.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 12:44:37 -0400
Message-Id: <1436892277599.0.32109@zoe>
To: Credentials CG <public-credentials@w3.org>
Thanks to Gregg Kellogg for scribing this week! The minutes
for this week's Credentials CG telecon are now available:

http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-07-14/

Full text of the discussion follows for W3C archival purposes.
Audio from the meeting is available as well (link provided below).

----------------------------------------------------------------
Credentials Community Group Telecon Minutes for 2015-07-14

Agenda:
  https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2015Jul/0015.html
Topics:
  1. Introduction to Brendan Benshoof
  2. Recruiting
  3. Producing Documents
  4. Vision document
  5. Use Cases
  6. Capabilities
  7. Roadmap
Organizer:
  Manu Sporny
Scribe:
  Gregg Kellogg
Present:
  Gregg Kellogg, Manu Sporny, Brendan Benshoof, Nate Otto, Eric 
  Korb, Matt Stone, Brian Sletten, Andrew Rosen, Rob Trainer, David 
  I. Lehn, Laura Fowler, Sunny Lee
Audio:
  http://opencreds.org/minutes/2015-07-14/audio.ogg

Gregg Kellogg is scribing.
Manu Sporny:  Brendan is joining us today, intro later.

Topic: Introduction to Brendan Benshoof

Brendan Benshoof:  I've not been able to join [scribe assist by 
  Andrew Rosen]
Brendan Benshoof:  I’m a grad student at georga state university. 
  I work on distributed hash tables and making them do things they 
  weren’t intended for.
  … You have a black box labeled that, and I think I might be the 
  one to remove the magic from it.
Nate Otto: That would be cool if you could make some magic real, 
  Brendan. Nice to meet you.
Manu Sporny:  We hang out on the #ipfs chanel, and a number of 
  folks there are interested in decentralized hash tables and have 
  been talking about stuff there for a while.
  … Hopefully, Blame will be able to join us and help us there, 
  happy to have you!
  … That will help us have deeper discussions about decentralized 
  identifiers.

Topic: Recruiting

Manu Sporny:  I’ve been busy for the last week, but have been 
  invited to speak at the Federal Reserve’s payment symposium. It’s 
  an invite-only event with core-finanical folk.s
  … They’re specifically interested in W3C and credentials. That 
  puts a lot of weight behind what we’re doing.
  … That would allow us to get more recruits in from govt and 
  finanical services.
Eric Korb:  We’re working on a project with IMS global; we’re 
  using the JSON-LD format for credentials to express an extended 
  transcript.
  … We expect to demonstrate a prototype at “educause” in 
  november.
Nate Otto: EDUCAUSE conference in Indianapolis in October.
  … Mark Leuba is the chair of that at IMS Global.
  … That will come a multi-purpose issuer to sign such documents, 
  and a spec for describing a transcript in JSON-LD.
  … This includes many open-source projects to describe this.
  … I’ve also been asked to talk to an IMS quarterly meeting on 
  AUgust 17th.
Manu Sporny:  These are great opportunities, but a bit late for 
  W3C’s needs.
Eric Korb:  I invited Credly to invite us, and will follow up.
Manu Sporny:  There’s a punch-list of about 100 W3C members that 
  it would be great if you could help follow-up on.
Nate Otto:  I’ve talked with Concentric Sky, and we’re going to 
  do a review and have an answer in a couple of days.
  … Badge Alliance is similar and should be able to give them an 
  opinion shortly and hopefully get them to join.
Matt Stone:  I’ve started a discussion with some sales people on 
  the aclaim team. Parson has several clients that might also be 
  good fits.
Manu Sporny:  We may want to get some things produced while we’re 
  waiting on recruiting.

Topic: Producing Documents

Brian Sletten:  I have some time to work on docs.
Manu Sporny:  I think we need to get back to producing documents. 
  We do need more recruiting, and we’re not there yet, but we have 
  other things to do.
  … It’s going to be hard to convince W3C at the beginning of 
  August without 15 more organizations.
  … We need 30-40 at a bare minimum.
  … We have 18 out of 47 right now.
Manu Sporny: Here's the executive summary: 
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Nq543-Am1hQUIZ2hhzAFl8KexvIEBwDDc_f3Ikz1opQ/edit
  … At the bottom is a simple form for them to fill out, or a 
  verbal yes is fine too.
Eric Korb:  I just filled it out for Accreditrust.
Nate Otto:  Concentric Sky needs a technical review, and will 
  decide after that.

Topic: Vision document

Manu Sporny:  In the mean time, the folks not recrutiting can 
  help on documents.
Manu Sporny: http://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/Vision
  … We don’t have one yet, but the payments group’s could be a 
  model.
  … The doc is a quick 1-2 page. Perhaps Accreditrust/Pearson 
  could help with this, and it should be quick.
Manu Sporny: http://www.w3.org/Payments/IG/Vision#web-principles
Nate Otto: By take the lead on this document, you mean creating a 
  "vision document" for credentials based on the template that the 
  Web Payments IG has?
  … There’s a bit at the top: “Web Principles” that shouldn’t 
  need to be re-stated.
  … Choice in where to store credentials, etc.
Eric Korb:  We can contribute.
Matt Stone:  I’d like to help too.
Gregg Kellogg:  I can help with ReSpec formatting, if you just 
  have text.
Manu Sporny:  RichardVarn will also help.
  … Deadline, beginning of August.
Nate Otto: Beginning of August is good.
Brendan Benshoof: Pull requests are made for this
Gregg Kellogg:  We should put a skeleton ReSpec file in github 
  [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Gregg Kellogg:  From practical experience, I find that working on 
  feature branches for these types of things might work well. 
  [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Manu Sporny:  What’s worked well is to work from a google-doc. At 
  some point we’ll freeze it and move it over.
Gregg Kellogg:  That's fine - but Github is designed for this 
  sort of collaboration - but I don't want that to be a barrier - 
  google doc, emails, whatever works for people, I'll edit. [scribe 
  assist by Manu Sporny]
Nate Otto: +1 Open Credentials
Manu Sporny:  We’ve been talking about “Open Credentials”, but 
  maybe “Web Credentials”, or just “Credentials”.
Matt Stone: +1 Open Credentials
Matt Stone: Or at least -1 Web Credentials :)
Manu Sporny: Vision document is here: 
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Y92W2FjGKb-ECrdXqtPk-nPzfGZ1FVGIVrtex9A437E/edit
Manu Sporny: This is where the group keeps it specs: 
  https://github.com/opencreds/website/tree/master/specs

Topic: Use Cases

Manu Sporny: 
  https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GySrTXAYpwa4vDPsGE3BMA42FwIAqAyLGigKuKUTGks/edit
Brian Sletten:  I’ll move it over to ReSpec in the opencreds 
  repo.
Manu Sporny:  There are some comments to resolve.
Brian Sletten:  I’ll tak a pass at encorporating the comments.

Topic: Capabilities

Nate Otto: Thanks, bsletten -- feel free to ask me too if you 
  have any questions on on of my comments.
Manu Sporny: 
  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/capabilities/index.html
Manu Sporny:  The WebPayments group came up with the concept of a 
  “Web Payments Architecture”.
  … A credential system should be able to … (as basic 
  capabilities).
Manu Sporny: 
  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/capabilities/index.html#overview
  … In the payments group we broke them down into high-level 
  groups. E.g., there is a core-security part, another is “trust 
  and identity”.
  … Everything else has to do with payments, we would probably 
  have stuff specifically for credentials.
  … We don’t have any conent for this yet, and it will be a good 
  month of effort.
Brian Sletten:  Would August be soon enough to get started?
Manu Sporny:  A stub now would be good.
Matt Stone:  I can help too.
Brendan Benshoof:  I can help jump in too.

Topic: Roadmap

Manu Sporny: http://opencreds.org/specs/source/roadmap/
Manu Sporny:  This document’s pretty old (but not terrible).
Manu Sporny: 
  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/roadmap/index.html
  … The web payments group took a different approach.
Manu Sporny: 
  https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webpayments/raw-file/default/latest/roadmap/index.html#version-1
  … The purpose of the roadmap document is to be crystal clear 
  about what a WG would work on.
  … It should have a very narrow scope, and specific use cases, 
  capabilities and documents to be produced within the group’s 
  timeframe.
  … This document tries to make this clear, and shows that there 
  is a near-term end to the work.
  … I suggest that we lay the roadmap out in a similar way to the 
  Web Payments group, preserving our current diagrams.
  … I’ll volunteer to align these two documents.
Eric Korb:  Is there a way we can produce a document that shows 
  the documents we need to produce?
Manu Sporny:  That’s on today’s agenda.
  … The roadmap will reference the documents the group will 
  publish.
Gregg Kellogg:  The group would specify the documents they want 
  to create in the roadmap. [scribe assist by Manu Sporny]
Manu Sporny:  These documents help rally different groups 
  together to go in a single direction.
  … The goal for next week should be to have stub-documents set 
  up for all of these documents, and get updates on progress.
Received on Tuesday, 14 July 2015 16:45:00 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 11 July 2018 21:19:24 UTC