Re: Verifiable Claims Telecon Minutes for 2015-12-01

On 01/12/2015 23:10, Dave Longley wrote:
> On 12/01/2015 04:08 PM, Tony Arcieri wrote:
>> I was unable to attend this teleconference, but there was one
>> objection I would like to raise:
>>
>> RESOLUTION: There is a significant difference between user-centric
>> and service-centric architectures when it comes to verifiable
>> claims.
>>
>> I strongly oppose this resolution, and believe this sort of thinking
>>  is both deeply rooted in ambient authority systems and is the source
>>  of confused deputy problems in multi-principal interactions where
>> one of the principals is the user.
>>
>> A credential system which can securely solve 3+ principal
>> interactions is by necessity dealing with the relationships between
>> the user, service A, and service B (and potentially services C, D,
>> and E)
>
> First, to avoid confusion, the "credentials" we're discussing when we
> talk about verifiable claims are "identity credentials", not
> "authorization credentials". A verifiable claim is a non-repudiable
> statement about an identity. You can use such a claim to authenticate an
> identity; the decision as to whether or not an identity should be
> authorized to take some action or access some service is a separate
> concern.

I think you do a disservice to the credential system if you try to
separate the two functionalities. In the ABAC model, an identity
credential is an authorisation credential, since privileges are assigned
to identity attributes. So the credential can be both (and I would argue
is always implicitly both). It is a decision of the recipient how it
chooses to use the presented credential, whether to use it 'just' for
identification, or for identification and authorisation. I would argue
in fact, that a recipient never uses it just for identification. Even in
your use case below, the identity credential is actually an
authorisation credential for the job application. If the user cannot
prove they have a degree or other identity attribute that the recipient
requires, they will not accept the application and say the applicant is
not qualified for the job.

You may think that a law enforcement officer who asks to see your
identity credential in the street only wants it for identification, but
not so. They want it to prove that you are authorised to be here, and
are not an illegal immigrant. So I would be interested to see a use case
in which an identity credential is only ever used for identification and
never for authorisation.

regards

David