Re: Next Steps for W3C Coremob

To summarise, there are three possibilities: keep working as a CG, switch
to an IG, or merge the initiative with Dom's Closing The Gap.

I am quite a newcomer in the W3C family, so sorry if that sounds obvious
for most but how do people normally process to decide? Voting? Resolution?

Jean-Francois

On 11/03/2013 14:10, "Charles McCathie Nevile" <chaals@yandex-team.ru>
wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 14:48:37 +0100, Arthur Barstow
><art.barstow@nokia.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On 3/10/13 7:12 AM, ext Jo Rabin wrote:
>>>
>>>http://www.w3.org/community/coremob/2013/03/10/next-steps-for-w3c-coremo
>>>b-2013-03-10/
>> So I see two important messages here and I trust there is consensus on
>> these ...
>>
>> 1. If you want to actively contribute to W3C testing efforts, join
>> public-test-infra.
>
>Agreed
>
>> 2. If you want to actively engage with developers, contribute to
>> WebPlatform.org.
>
>Well, depends *how* you want to engage, but yeah...
>
>> Re new scope, depending on how one squints, I think CoreMob was
>> originally mostly about "minding the gaps". As such, I recommend
>>merging
>> this group and Dom's public-closing-the-gaps group. ATM, there is 100%
>> overlap between these two groups regarding people that have submitted
>> something to the gaps list. It seems like it will be mostly make work
>> try to rationalize the two groups so it would be more efficient to just
>>
>> merge the efforts  now.
>
>The list will hang around forever, but headlights efforts are meant to be
>
>short-term (a few months). So I suspect it goes the other way around - a
>good outcome for that group would be that a sperset of CoreMob keeps
>going
>with it.
>
>Note that there is already a WebTV Interest Group - effectively the model
>
>that Jo is suggesting. I think the model is good. The group has staff
>resources which helps them navigate W3C, and they have committed members
>who do the necessary real work.
>
>So they talk amongst their peers to get some sense of what they really
>need (which is usually something slightly different from what they
>thought
>when they started), and then do the hard work in the relevant groups
>(HTML, Webapps, etc) to standardise in the context of the Web Platform,
>which they recognise as bigger than TV while also showing that TV is one
>part of it.
>
>> Re continued spec work, does anyone have any real data about how the
>> CoreMob spec was actually used (other than as an input to
>> public-test-infra)? For instance did any proprietary browser vendor or
>> OSS browser engine implement feature X/Y/Z specifically because that
>> feature/spec was listed in CoreMob?
>
>I have no real data, but I claim that it was valuable to have specs
>listed.
>
>It's not a one-way exercise - vendors also seek to "manipulate" the list,
>
>to manage expectations (the price of everything being in public), but I
>think it is really quite useful.
>
>I've also seen large groups of game developers interested in the
>approach.
>I think it's good to get a segment of the industry looking like this, and

> [...]

France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages that have been modified, changed or falsified.
Thank you.