Re: Feature Rings, Incomplete Rings, and Compliance Grading

On 5/3/12 8:14 PM, "Jet Villegas" <jet@mozilla.com> wrote:

>Apologies if this e-mail shows up multiple times--the coremob mailing
>list seems to be flagging my earlier posts:

No problem and sorry about the mailing list bizarreness you encountered.

>I would prefer that the rings represent features like ring 0 == text,
>ring 1 == images, ring 2 == JavaScript, ring 3 == audio, ring 4 ==
>video...

I'm not sure how that would add value over the specs by themselves nor how
that encourages a platform view, which is what the group is after.

>I don't think that failing an inner ring should halt testing on outer
>rings. The web developer should be able to see the level of compatibility
>across several rings at once. For example, if a developer is trying to
>build an app that needs a ring 997 feature (let's say 'teleportation')
>they should be able to see if that works even if the browser has a bug
>with vertical Hiragana text in ring 42.

That makes sense with the vertical split you're suggesting above. Less so
with the more horizontal approach we're taking. We're still at a point
where we're busy fighting fragmentation and trying to move the lowest
common denominator up.

--tobie