Re: Network Information Use Cases

From: Tobie Langel <tobie@fb.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 16:49:28 +0000
To: Core Mobile <public-coremob@w3.org>
Hi,

In order to make progress on this issue, I've created a wiki page[1] where
I referenced all use cases submitted so far and divided them in to two
categories: those that could be met with Network info and those that
couldn't.

I also added a section which explains what Network info provides and what
it doesn't. Worth reading as the spec has changed recently.

I've also added a use case[2] for responsive images, as I found out there
are JavaScript libraries[3] using Network info for this purpose.

There are three use cases that can be met with the Network Info API alone:

- Warning against or avoiding downloading of large-sized files
- Poor man's adaptive streaming
- Poor man's responsive img

(Note the later ones are temporary solutions until better, dedicated
technology gets specified and implemented.)

I suggest we concentrate our discussion around these three use cases only.
And make a decision for inclusion in L1 based on the validity of these use
cases and vendor intent to implement the spec.

Best,

--tobie

---
[1]: