Re: ISSUE-20/ACTION-8 Text on how conformance interacts with the availability of hardware

[At risk of someone asking why I was reading the conformance section of CSS Writing Modes Level 3]

When I read that it obviously struck me that it was part of an answer to our ISSUE-20, however I am troubled (in a somewhat minor way) ...

CSS specifies its conformance in terms of a Renderer which it says is a UA which is in turn a program (see [1]).

Coremob 2012 [2]  in its current draft refers to User Agents so likewise refers to programs.

Are we happy to leave it at that - i.e. that any claim of conformance relates to an identifiable piece of software? I think I'm happy with that, but am conscious that it could arguably leave out of scope software running in devices whose software cannot be distinguished from the device as a whole that it is installed on [it's not separately updatable, etc.].

Jo

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/conform.html#user-agent
[2] http://coremob.github.com/coremob-2012/ED-coremob-20120829.html [coming soon]