Re: App type research

From: <tomomi.imura@nokia.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 17:43:55 +0000
To: <mk@fb.com>
CC: <public-coremob@w3.org>
Thank you Matt, this is great!
I am trying to add test results for IE9 on WP7.5 on the chart soon (and soon will be IE10 on WP8).

tomomi

From: ext Matt Kelly <mk@fb.com<mailto:mk@fb.com>>
Date: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 11:25 AM
To: "public-coremob@w3.org<mailto:public-coremob@w3.org>" <public-coremob@w3.org<mailto:public-coremob@w3.org>>
Subject: App type research

Hi everyone,
Per ACTION-3, we need to define app types that weíre targeting in each level (https://www.w3.org/community/coremob/track/actions/3).
As a result, Iíve uploaded the bulk of our research at http://www.mattkel..ly/coremob/mobile_web_app_profile.xls.  This contains nearly the top 100 mobile apps on Android and iOS as of late last year.  These results encompass what weíve based Level 0, 1, and 2 (and Ringmark Ring 0, 1, and 2) on, primarily.  This data is always changing, but weíve gone through this exercise repeatedly over the past 6 months and have always turned up with very similar results.  Ie, 2D games, audio/video apps, and camera apps have nearly always dominated.  Therefore, thatís the basis for Level 1.
While itís not my intention to reignite the discussion for Level 0, Iíve gone a step further and also included our research as to whatís currently supported in iOS Safari and the Android Browser.  This includes nearly 200 features.  We hope that this data will give developers a very granular picture of whatís supported on mobile today, as well as help sites like mobilehtml5.org and caniuse.com.

Feedback is always welcome.
Thanks,
Matt