Re: App type research

From: <Wai.Seto@nokia.com>
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2012 22:20:10 +0000
To: <mk@fb.com>
CC: <public-coremob@w3.org>
This is extremely useful information! Thank you! This also gives browser vendors a better picture as well. Cheers!

On Jul 31, 2012, at 11:25 AM, ext Matt Kelly wrote:

Hi everyone,
Per ACTION-3, we need to define app types that weíre targeting in each level (https://www.w3.org/community/coremob/track/actions/3).
As a result, Iíve uploaded the bulk of our research athttp://www.mattkel.ly/coremob/mobile_web_app_profile.xls.  This contains nearly the top 100 mobile apps on Android and iOS as of late last year.  These results encompass what weíve based Level 0, 1, and 2 (and Ringmark Ring 0, 1, and 2) on, primarily.  This data is always changing, but weíve gone through this exercise repeatedly over the past 6 months and have always turned up with very similar results.  Ie, 2D games, audio/video apps, and camera apps have nearly always dominated.  Therefore, thatís the basis for Level 1.
While itís not my intention to reignite the discussion for Level 0, Iíve gone a step further and also included our research as to whatís currently supported in iOS Safari and the Android Browser.  This includes nearly 200 features.  We hope that this data will give developers a very granular picture of whatís supported on mobile today, as well as help sites like mobilehtml5.org<http://mobilehtml5.org> and caniuse.com<http://caniuse.com>.

Feedback is always welcome.
Thanks,
Matt