Re: resize text verssus zoom

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:30 PM, <noreply@w3.org> wrote:

> Name: steve
> Email: steve.miller1@defence.gov.au
> Affiliation:
> Document: UW
> Item Number: Understanding Success Criterion 1.4.4
> Part of Item: Intent
> Comment Type: general comment
> Summary of Issue: resize text verssus zoom
> When auditing sites for compliance I come across many pages where the text
> does not resize (when this option is selected) but if zoomed to 200% it
> does.  The critera talk about resizing the text, but also about zooming the
> page.  Does it need to do both, one of, or one in preference of the other.
>
> Proposed Change:
> Clarify what fails i.e if the text cannot be resized then it is a fail -
> or if the text resizes when zoomed it passes (dependant on presentational
> issues)
>
> ================================
We understand that the test needs work.  Please see the note that is
already in the current version:

Note: The Working Group has discovered many misunderstandings about how to
test this failure. We are planning to revise this failure in a future
update. Until then, if the content passes the success criterion using any
of the listed sufficient techniques, then it does not meet this failure.

So any of the sufficient techniques listed would alone be sufficient to
satisfy SC 1.4.4 (Resize text).

In your example, if the browser-supplied page zoom works for resizing text
to 200% without clipping, truncation or obscuring, the success criterion
would be met.