Re: please add 'disabling focus outline with CSS' as a Failure for SC 2.4.3 - Focus Order

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 12:22 AM, Gijs Veyfeyken <gijs@anysurfer.be> wrote:

> Apologies. I knew it was in WCAG2, I was just looking in the wrong place.
> The reason I didn't find it, is because it thought it is a failure for a
> level A technique.
>
> One more question about that. "Focus order" is a level A criteria. Hiding
> the visual outline is a failure of "Focus visible", which is a level AA
> criteria.
> To be able to see the tab or "focus order level A" (for example sighted
> keyboard users), one much comply with "focus visible level AA".
> If focus order cannot be achieved without focus visible, why are the not
> in the same level?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Gijs
>
> ---
> Gijs Veyfeyken
> AnySurfer - Belgian quality label for accessible websites
> A project of Blindenzorg Licht en Liefde vzw
> Kunstlaan 24 box 21
> 1000 Brussels
> phone 0032 (0)2 21 06 149
> mobile  0032 (0)471 98 05 71
>

> ================================
There are assistive technologies that can highlight the focus or add
another highly visible focus indicator.  Common user agents can also do
this.

For example in Firefox, setting the preferences
   browser.display.focus_ring_on_anything => true
   browser.display.focus_ring_width => 5
will allow override any page specified focus suppression and show a highly
visible focus indicator on any focusable element.

It should also be possible to do the same with a user stylesheet using
!important.

As a result Focus Visible is not at Level A.

But assistive technology cannot add order if it is not there, so Focus
Order is at Level A.