Preferment of liquid over elastic design for accessibility reasons

From: WCAG 2.0 Comment Form <nobody@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:21:28 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-comments-wcag20@w3.org

Name: Liam McGee
Email: liam.mcgee@communis.co.uk
Affiliation: WAI EOWG, Communis Ltd
Document: W2
Item Number: Success Criterion 1.4.7
Part of Item:
Comment Type: technical
Summary of Issue: Preferment of liquid over elastic design for accessibility reasons
Rationale:

Firstly, the need for horizontal scrolling depends on the pixel-width of the viewport. This is not under the designer\'s control.

Secondly, this is in any case problematic as a long word (or a URL) in a columnar layout will easily fail this (loss of content as the layout breaks). This may be even worse in languages where long words are a common occurrence. In a layout context, it is saying \"a word may not be more than half the width of a column\".

Thirdly, horizontal scrolling is certainly a usability issue, but not an accessibility issue - horizontal scrolling does not prevent a user from accessing info (or at least, no more than vertical scrolling does). I would rather scroll horizontally then have headings and URLs become unreadable - which really is an accessibility issue. I am well used to scrolling all over the viewport when using screen mag software, for example.

Proposed Change:
Suggested change: remove \"and in a way that does not require the user to scroll horizontally\"