Re: WCAG 2.2 acceptance criteria

Hi Lisa,

I generally agree, but I think we need to be careful to not attach too much
weight to the word "tools" - what we need for any and all emergent SC is a
robust enough test procedure (which may, or may not, involve a tool) so
that conformance to the SC can be measured and reported as conforming or
not.

As I mentioned to Jennie off-list, while we are *ALL* committed to
increasing access to the web for all users, the reality today is also that
in doing so, we need to deal with legal obligations - it is that "stick"
that counter-balances the "carrot" of increased access to all users.
Thousands+ of companies and other entities out there may want to do the
right thing, but if they cannot define it to the point that they can test
for it repeatedly, accurately, and without subjectivity, the sad truth is
they won't even attempt to do so.

I acknowledge that, at some level, time and effort will also be something
of a factor - but that remains true for any and all SC (as I pointed out
previously, to ensure an accurate Audio Description of a 3 hour movie means
you have to listen to the Audio Description for those three hours...).
None-the-less, we must also be mindful of efficiencies in testing as a
critical component in any of the work we do.

JF

--
*​John Foliot* | Principal Accessibility Strategist | W3C AC Representative
Deque Systems - Accessibility for Good