PIs for change tracking: was Re: Few words on each of us

I changedthe title so easier to follow this thread - an important topic.

There is a lot of experience and code around using PIs in editing
applications and IMHO a PI representation for CT (Change Tracking) is
necessary. My hope is that we can have the best of both worlds if we can
define a bi-directional and loss-less transformation between an
element/attribute CT representation and a PI one.

Robin
On 22/02/2013 07:51, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> On 21/02/13 22:56, Casey Jordan wrote:
>
>> We use PI's as well, as Tom said there are many benefits. However we
>> only use the PI's to markup the regions and assign a small amount of
>> metadata (username, unique id etc), any comments or other information
>> associated with the change are stored outside the document in a
>> database. This way, if the change get's removed, accepted, or rejected,
>> the information surrounding it lives on in an audit record. This has
>> been very important for our customers.
>
> That's _really_ interesting because the HTML zealots never consider
> PIs as a potential solution to our real-life problems in editing
> environments ou publishing chains, they always base all their solutions
> on elements and attributes only, and that of course tweaks the structure
> of the document.
>
> </Daniel>

Robin La Fontaine, Director, DeltaXML Ltd  "Experts in information change"
T: +44 1684 592 144  E: robin.lafontaine@deltaxml.com
http://www.deltaxml.com
Registered in England 02528681 Reg. Office: Monsell House, WR8 0QN, UK