RE: Math WG comments on latest CDF documents

To be more specific on how this is being tracked:

Since this was originally marked as a disagree from the first LC and then
it was reraised during our second LC, we are not tracking it as 2
disagrees.  Only the one [1] against the first LC for comments.

Thanks,
Steve Speicher

[1] See LC1-104 in
http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/2006/LC_Comments/CDRFWICDLC.xml

I wrote on 01/03/2007 01:58:07 PM:

> Ron,
>
> For the record, the CDF WG has resolved not to make any changes in the
> current referenced public drafts regarding this issue.   The WG does not

> feel we can define the adequate level of specification needed given the
> timeframe and scope with the current drafts.  The WG has recorded your
> disagreement with this resolution.
>
> This does not prohibit anyone from defining extensions or profiles that
> include MathML or introducing the capabilities that you have outlined.
We
> [...]
>

> > Steve, and the CDF WG,
> >
> > Thank you for your response to the Math WG's comments. Unfortunately,
we
> > don't feel that our concerns are adequately addressed by it.
> >
> > We'd be happy to contribute to a MathML-based profile based on the
> > compound-by-inclusion framework. However, MathML may also appear as a
> child
> > document by reference (via an <object>), and we don't feel that the
> current
> > draft provides the necessary support. While restricting consideration
of
> > layout issues to scalable elements is fine for the SVG-centered
profile
> > documents (WICD Full and WICD Mobile), it seems inappropriate for a
> general
> > compound document framework. Some brief discussion of layout
negotiation
> for
> > objects which are not scalable should appear in the WICD Core
document,
> or
> > perhaps even in the Document Object Model section of the CDR Framework
> > document.
> >
> > Our specific suggestion is to include a specification like the
> following:
> >   "The Document Object Model for a child document SHOULD make
available
> > the parent methods to return the width, height and depth (or 'baseline
> > offset') of the child content."
> > Such a stipulation would codify handling of <object> that has been
> supported
> > already by some user agents, and has allowed scripting to provide
> reasonable
> > display of inline MathML. On the other hand, we see publication of
these
> > recommendations without such a provision as implying a step backward.
> >
> > We don't believe that leaving such considerations for a MathML-based
> profile
> > is the best course, as we don't believe they apply only to MathML. Any

> child
> > document which gives rise to text-like content needs the same sort of
> > support.
> >
> > If you believe that a provision of this sort is beyond the scope of
> these
> > recommendations, then it seems that that scope excludes essential
> > interoperability requirements of MathML objects (and other text-like
> > objects). We feel that you should in this case remove mention of
support
> for
> > MathML and examples of MathML from them for now, as in our opinion
these
> are
> > currently misleading. In particular, the section delineating the scope

> of
> > the CDR Framework document includes the text:
> >   "While it is clearly meant to serve as the basis for integrating
W3C's
> > family of XML formats within its Interaction Domain (e.g., CSS,
MathML,