Re: Comment from Math WG on CDF Last Calls

Patrick,

We have marked the 2nd Last Call comment as "Disagree" per your request.
We had marked it as duplicate because we believe your 2nd Last call comment
is a duplicate of your 1st Last Call comment on the same topic.  However,
both comments are now marked as "Disagree".

1st Last Call Comment
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cdf/2006Jan/0069.html

2nd Last Call Comment
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cdf/2006Dec/0008.html

See the last call comment dispositions for the 2 last calls:
1st LC http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/2006/LC_Comments/CDRFWICDLC.xml

2nd LC http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/2006/LC_Comments/CDRFWICDLC2.xml

The paragraph that was commented on is currently paragraph 2.1 of the
Compound Document by Reference Framework 1.0
http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/specs/CDR/2007/20070416/CDR/#dom

The description of the currently supported method for a child documents to
access the CSS properties of a parent document is documented in the last
paragraph of section 2.1.  This approach of documenting how it can be done
today with scripting is consistent with how we handled other cross document
by reference boundary issues such as events across document boundaries.

This comment, as well as the other "disagrees" will be discussed during the
CR transition process.

In addition to the 2 comments marked as disagree, is the MathML WG
considering a formal objection the CDF WG CR request?  If so, we would like
to document that as part of the CR transition process.

Kevin

             Patrick Ion
             <ion@ams.org>
             public-cdf-reques         public-cdf@w3.org
             t@w3.org                                                   cc

                                                                   Subject
             04/05/2007 09:24          Comment from Math WG on CDF Last
             AM                        Calls

It has been pointed out to me that I wrongly did not send the Math WG
comments to the correct list, and that this could be the cause of
our comment not having been logged as we expected.  To help,
I therefore send to this list the W3C Math WG reply, which was
earlier addressed only to Steve Speicher and Kevin Kelly as chair
persons.

For the Math WG,

             Patrick Ion (Co-chair)

=========

Steve K Speicher wrote:
> Thanks for the quick and thorough reply.  I have discussed these items
> with the CDF WG and have included our response inline.

Dear Steve,

Thanks in turn for a careful reply on your part.  Unfortunately,
though the
Math WG is grateful for the small change that you are willing to add
to the
CDRF document:

> "It is possible for a content author to use parent-to-child [link] or
> child-to-parent [link] to propogate specific styling properties."
{presumably with the typo fix ' propogate'  =>  'propagate'}

  I have been enjoined by the WG, after careful discussion, to make sure
that our comment LC2-132 on the Last Call be recorded as 'unsatisfied'
(or 'disagree') on the Disposition page
http://www.w3.org/2004/CDF/2006/LC_Comments/CDRFWICDLC2.xml

We do understand your formulation that in the WICD documents you
do not feel inclined to "outline what we don't support in other areas"
or "believe stating {the} future of futures drafts is appropriate in
these
specifications".  We do think that, even though the first lines of the
WICD documents state up front their restricted scope
(XHTML + CSS + SVG) it is very likely that they will be understood,
together with the CDR Framework document, as addressing the much
larger problem areas that their titles imply.  For this reason we are
of the
opinion that it is important to spell out what's still for the
future, and
to clarify a possible misimpression, which a nice introduction
describing
more general compound documents as we'd all like to see them
seems to give.  We thought we had proposed a way to do this without
great difficulty.

The Math WG too will be pleased to work, with the CDF effort, on the
development of a more general Compound Document Format, that
is clearly needed at least for scientific and technical
publications.  We
do note that the present CDF WG is only chartered until November 2007,
and worry that the pressure of finishing specs already in the works may
not leave much time to address some of the further issues we probably
all agree are still pending.   However, we reiterate our willingness to
help address whatever we can to aid in improving the Web through
the W3C.

On behalf of the W3C Math Working Group,

       With best regards,

             Patrick