Re: Advice on extending CanvasRenderingContext2D to support Depth Streams

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:55:19 -0700
To: "Kostiainen, Anssi" <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Cc: "public-canvas-api@w3.org" <public-canvas-api@w3.org>, "Hu, Ningxin" <ningxin.hu@intel.com>, Rob Manson <roBman@buildar.com>
On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:47 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi <
anssi.kostiainen@intel.com> wrote:

> Hi Rik,
>
> > On 23 Oct 2014, at 19:58, Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > There are indeed quite a few versions. The W3C version that will include
> new features is here: http://www.w3.org/html/wg/drafts/2dcontext/master/
>
> Thanks for the clarification; it appears we’re referencing the right W3C
> version in the extension spec [1].
>
> > For W3C, public-canvas-api@w3.org is the right one to discuss new
> features. In general, the right mailing list is the one where you get most
> of the browser developers to participate:-)
>
> We’ll keep new feature discussions on public-canvas-api@w3.org, and ping
> the list to review any extensions to the CanvasRenderingContext2D.
>
> Unless someone has concerns, we’ll move forward by defining the algorithms
> for the createDepthData(), getDepthData(), and putDepthData() methods that
> operate on DepthData objects in the extension spec [1]. We’ll report back
> if there are issues in extending the base spec cleanly, for example, if
> extensions points in the core spec would be needed to avoid monkey patching.

Did you get any feedback from implementor so far?
It seems a bit odd to add something like depthData to the canvas 2D object
which is basically just a holder of pixels. It's also unclear from reading
the spec what happens when you draw over the regions or if this affects
canvas tainting.

> Btw. could you update the Status of This Document "e-mail feedback to
> [...]“ boilerplate of [2] to point to the right mailing list?

Will do