drawSystemFocusRing implementation details

From: Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 08:40:38 -0700
To: public-canvas-api@w3.org
Recently (off-list) I had a discussion about the implementation of
drawSystemFocusRing.

It was my understanding that system generated focus rings would be
managed by the system, laid atop the Canvas element.
This is in contrast to a  custom focus ring that the author draws and
manages on their own Canvas bitmap (while still notifying the system).

The current WHATWG spec suggests that drawSystemFocusRing should have
the system draw a focus ring directly onto the Canvas bitmap.
The W3C spec does not specify, it simply says to "draw" the focus ring.

My thinking is that drawSystemFocusRing should be as easy for authors to
use as:
element.onfocus = function(e) { ctx.drawSystemFocusRing(e.target); };

That's in contrast to a custom focus ring:
element.onfocus = function(e) { if(ctx.drawCustomFocusRing(e.target))
ctx.stroke(); };
element.onblur = function() { myCustomRedrawMethod(); };

Rik, do you have any thoughts on this?

-Charles