Re: canvas example

On Fri, Dec 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM, Charles Pritchard <chuck@jumis.com>
wrote:
> On 12/23/11 5:57 AM, Jonathan Mcdougall wrote:
>> I still think reimplementing single widgets in canvas is a bad
>> idea, aria or not. Using a custom user interface in a canvas as
>> part of a larger application is fine, but then aria couldn't be
>> applied to individual widgets.
>
> What do you mean about ARIA not being applicable to individual
> widgets?
>
> Keep in mind, a single widget may be <input type="color"> [...]

We're still having trouble talking about the same thing. I was under
the impression that this mailing list was about <canvas> and this is
what I'm talking about.

When I say aria can't be applied to individual widgets, I'm talking
about having multiple widgets in the same canvas, which was the whole
point of canui.

> I believe I understand your point better: that canui is a scene
> graph, and its widgets are meant to be used together, not to just be
> picked individually. That certainly makes sense in any theme or
> scene graph library. I think we had a misunderstanding of what I was
> suggesting.

Yes, this is exactly what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

> The purpose here is to expose information. When it's not exposed,
> then things are not accessible. When it's exposed, people have a
> chance to adapt and use that information in complex ways.
>
> I'm happy to explore your understanding here.

Okay, I'll bite.

I don't find accessibility in games, for example, to be particularly
important. It is a costly feature to implement: development of a
proper technology, planning, training (few people are aware of
accessibility), development and testing. All of this for not much in
return. This also applies to <canvas> when used in the same context.

I find that specifying semantics works fine when working with
structured data so that both people with disabilities and automated
tools can access the information. Using images or videos without
transcripts is for me an unfortunate (but necessary) evolution of
of the way we represent data. Youtube is a treasure trove of
unretrievable (and ultimately lost) information.

That being said, trying to come up with accessibility features for
<canvas> does not strike me as being a priority. It is not structured
information, it is merely a bitmap. SVG is a much better target for
this.

--
Jonathan McDougall