Re: Reasons of using Canvas for UI design

I think that BeSpin represents an interesting example of "pushing the boundaries" -- experimenting with a technology to see what can be done with it.

The interesting examples of interaction in canvas are represented by those that do something quite different from the static path-based style of traditional UIs.  Why emulate in Canvas what can be done better and more completely in HTML or SVG?  On the other hand, if you want to do this <http://www.spielzeugz.de/html5/liquid-particles.html> you really are looking at new UI styles.

So, I wonder if it's better to follow the lightweight approach of canvas to drawing, and make sure that the kind of information that accessibility UAs need is available using the same, or matching, APIs, that the interaction is using?  That means being able to interact with the scripts rather than with some static 'model' that is assumed to be behind them.

On Jul 12, 2011, at 10:17 , Frank Olivier wrote:

> Please note that Bespin is no longer using canvas: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-canvas-api/2011AprJun/0123.html
>
> Also keep in mind that creating 'cooler UI' by drawing it yourself is a *lot* of work - anything more complex than a custom checkbox or button is a serious amount of work, and you lose any platform benefits. I think that developers will stay away from complex custom controls due to implementation cost more than anything else - 'more development time' is usually the last thing any software project has.

David Singer