Agenda: February 7, 2011 Canvas Accessibility Working Group

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:54:56 -0700
To: public-canvas-api@w3.org
Cc: chuck@jumis.com, david.bolter@gmail.com, franko@microsoft.com, Dominic Mazzoni <dmazzoni@google.com>

Agenda: February 7, 2011 Canvas Accessibility Working Group
Time of meeting is 3:00PM EST, 20:00 UTC, duration is 1 hour
Zakim Bridge +1.617.761.6200, conference 2119 ("A11Y")

IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #html-a11y.

1. Caret/Selection Position and Blink Rate.

- Do we move this to a separate document so that we can move this more
broadly, such as by SVG? If not we need to update the text to adjust for
Benjamin's comments. For example, we may use the drawPath to get a best fit
caret position. I would also need to define caret and selection position.

- Discuss Benjamin-Hawkes Lewis comments and Rich's initial response

- TextExtent - We responded to Hixie's use cases in the corresponding
defect. Where do we sit? - Chuck Pritchard
Rich Comment: This looks like you are trying to explain the need for text

2 Canvas: Do we need to limit content in the canvas subtree. It appears
that some browser vendors do not want to changeInitialization of resources
(such as IFrame) in canvas and allow all HTML elements in the subtree.
  Note Chuck Pritchard's latest post:

3. Chuck to provide link to Google Canvas IME work

3. Rich Text editing supportCaret, Selection, Grammar errors, spelling
- Do the user agent manufacturers agree to do further work on rich text
- Where we are:
  - Rich proposal for marking caret, selected content, grammar errors,
spelling errors using HTML 5 and ARIA with modifications

  - Positioning information of content is required - per AISquared feedback
(See minutes from last meeting)

4. Additional Use Cases from Artur Ortega
Rich comment: The system is passing BitBlts and low level drawing commands.
This is not enough to support Accessibility. If agreed, Rich will respond
to Artur.

GTK client on HTML5 canvas:

noVNC - VNC client using HTML5 Canvas:

5. Action Items
 - Frank: what API does IE use to track content selection and
carets in content editable areas?

Reference Material APIs:
- Browser API Comparisons for Caret Tracking and Content Selection:
- Getting the selection object:
- sel = window.getSelection() //sel is a Selection object
- rangex = sel(0);
- rangex.collapsed(); //If it is collapsed it is a caret
- reangex.collapse();

Reference: revisions to 2D Context API - modifications

Minutes last call:

Referenced documents and test examples (I have included the 2D API version
that includes Chuck's modifications to removing a reference to text in the
2D API change for caret and selection changes)
(See attached file: HTML_Canvas_Element.html)(See attached file: HTML
Canvas 2DContext20110123.html)(See attached file: CanvasEditor.html)

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group