Re: Accesskey in Addendum to Best Practices

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:26:09 +0200, Scheppe, Kai-Dietrich
<k.scheppe@telekom.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to proceed here so we can close this document.
>
> On process....
> Chaals, what concrete solution do you put forward?

Remove the text

[[[

There is no standard way for a content provider to indicate the
availability of access keys to users of the site.

Common techniques are:
  + Link decoration (put the access key in brackets next to a link e.g. [1]
Home).
  + Summary page.
  + Listing on a site map.
]]]

 From section 3.1

[...]
> Are there others, aside from Alan who has already spoken up, with an
> opinion on the subject?
>

> On topic....
> Chaals, I still don't understand what you are objecting to.
>
> 1) we don't mention anywhere that the author does this or must do this.

No, the text I refer to doesn't match any particular requirement, but
seems to be strongly conincidentally related to the last test in the
evaluation list.

In practice, I suggest removing that too since most user agents that
handle access keys make them available by inspection (sometimes through a
system function) and those that do not can be considered to be buggy.
Alternatively, we should explicitly note this issue and point out that as
part of dealing with common bugs, sites should provide decoration for
specific known buggy implementations.

> It is rather late to get into a discussion at this level and I really
> would like that commentary a few month earlier.

Yeah, I understand that, and I am sorry to start so late in the process.