Re: ISSUE-288 (includeNonMandatedHeuristics): Should the Content Transformation Guidelines include a non normative list of mobile heuristics ? [Guidelines for Web Content Transformation Proxies]

I don't disagree. The problem is that this is a consequence of how
transcoders work. They are intrinsically a hack. The group has been
desperately trying to present transcoders as some kind of standard, but
this is like putting lipstick on a pig. A hack they were and a hack they
remain.

The only solution (apart from banning transcoders altogether, which
would be the best) is to have transcoders stay out of the way of
whatever content *might* already be suitable for mobile devices,
starting with avoiding spoofing the UA in the first place.

In this context, any trace of "mobility" (including viewport and
mobileOptimized meta tags which the grops just ruled out and including
the XHTML MIME type) should be a good enough reason for transcoders to
refrain from transcoding.

Luca