Re: ISSUE-288 (includeNonMandatedHeuristics): Should the Content Transformation Guidelines include a non normative list of mobile heuristics ? [Guidelines for Web Content Transformation Proxies]

From: Jo Rabin <jrabin@mtld.mobi>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 19:35:22 +0000
To: "Dominique Hazael-Massieux" <dom@w3.org>, "Mobile Web Best Practices Wo rking Group WG" <public-bpwg@w3.org>
Something has trouled me for a while about the notion of a mandatory heuristic.

If it's mandatory, it's not a heuristic, surely?

Also, i'm sorry not to have been on the call, but are we really sure we want to mandate this? I fear that this locks the mobile web into specific doctypes that will become increasingly irrelevant.

Fwiw, i think that mandatory heuristics are a bad idea and basically regressive in  effect.

Jo