ISSUE-234 (Object Tasting): PAGE_SIZE_LIMIT Should Objects Tasted count towards the overall page weight [mobileOK Basic tests]

From: Mobile Web Best Practices Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 00:08:32 +0000 (GMT)
To: public-bpwg@w3.org

ISSUE-234 (Object Tasting): PAGE_SIZE_LIMIT Should Objects Tasted count towards the overall page weight [mobileOK Basic tests]

http://www.w3.org/2005/MWI/BPWG/Group/track/issues/

Raised by: Jo Rabin
On product: mobileOK Basic tests

I am concerned that while we add the size of redirections to the total page weights we ignore the size of nested objects. Dom says that it's only a HEAD that is done to taste the content. I am guessing wildly that this is not in practice so. I think we need better justification for excluding what might be enormous content transferred to the browser, merely to be discarded. i.e. I think we need empirical evidence that browsers actually do taste Objects in the "Dom" way.

(Aside from the coach and horses Dom has already run through OBJECTS_OR_SCRIPT that is)

Jo